Laying a table like a professional…
- Place a dinner plate in the centre of the setting and lay forks to the left of the plate and knives and spoons to the right. Place your cutlery in the order that it will be used starting from the outside.
- When serving multiple courses, cutlery for the first course should be placed on the outside of the setting.
- Cutlery for the remaining courses should work in towards the plate.
- The dessert spoon and cake fork should be placed above the plate with glassware being set above and to the right of the dinner plate.
- Knife blades should be facing towards the plate and fork prongs facing upwards
- Place side plates to the left of the setting.
- If serving soup, place the soup bowl on top of the dinner plate.
- Place a water glass and wine glass to the right of the place setting just above the table knife.
- If serving both red and white wine include a glass for each. Red wine is typically served in a larger wine glass, and white wine is served in a slightly smaller wine glass.
Information sourced from the Viners website