- Not paying bills on time, or at all cant affect your credit rating (see credit rating section for more information).
- If you pay bills late you are likely to incur a fine, or sometimes interest can be added for every day/week/month you are late.
- Typically if you miss payments on your household bills, suppliers are likely to disconnect you whether that is water, energy or broadband.
- If you owe a supplier money, they will get in contact via post and mail with notices and warnings, if the bills still aren’t paid they are likely to pass your information onto debt recovery agents (debt collectors) who may come to your house. Bailiffs may also come to your house and take possessions of yours to pay for the money you owe. If the problem persists the company can take you to court to recover the money you owe.
- If you are having trouble making payments each month, see if you are entitled to discount schemes…
Information sourced from the Citizens Advice website